Tuesday 12 June 2012

Are you on a Health Kick or something??

Roast Kumara and Crunchy Red Veg Salad w/ Tahini Dressing
Day 2 of my 14 day food cleanse experiment has been an interesting little ride. I have been asked on several occasions today "are you on a health kick or something?" To which I have replied differently depending on who asked. My responses have been defensive, enthusiastic and sometimes a simple yes, each response prompting me to think about why I replied the way I did. It's weird the way I feel almost like I need to justify myself. The only justification/reason that I can logically come to is that I want to feel good, and I must say that I am starting to already. Yusssssssssss.

Our house hold was woken earlyish this morning at about 5:30am with the middle boy up and in 'go' mode (meaning noisy, boisterous and up for a Wiggle fest). I really admire his enthusiasm at 5ish. Hes a bit like me when I voluntarily wake up at that time. Food wise I felt like I couldn't wait to hit the blender and try out a new smoothie. This morning I tried out a wee cacau type smoothie with berries and banana and a base of celery and spinach, chia seed gel and a bit of water to lubricate the blender. I approached this smoothie with a little bit more vim and vigor than day one and will probably revisit it again in the morning.

A smoothie to start of day one, may have over done the spinach
Today was quite busy at work and so having all of my food prepared and planned was very helpful. I have been the "wait til lunch to decide what i am going to have" sort of guy for as long as I can remember and generally would end up with walking a block to the local to get the lunch time $4.50 chinese lunch box and a wee diet soda. Not today sir, no thank you!  As the day progressed towards  lunch I was even getting excited about the fresh veggie salad that was awaiting me, and the tahini dressing that was going to make it all the more tastier.

I have a very sweet tooth and luckily Kauia has designed some lovely fruit, nut, chocky treats that you only need one of. At about 7:30, 8 o'clock I start to get antsy and I am now realising that it is habitual more than anything else. To combat my craving I have implemented the old strategy of waiting for the urge to punch a wee kit kat or 4-5 bickies in my gob and rinse it down with a coffee (which only until recently would have a couple of tsp of sugar in it too).

Dinner tonight was exquisit, a roast pumpkin and garlic salad with chick peas and wilted spinach and silver beat dressed in lemon juice olive oil and some rock salt.....No doubt some meaty treats will go well with this, but post cleanse of course. Shit i just realised that I am going to be vegetarian for a whole two weeks Yeeeeeiiiiiiiilkkkeeeessssssss!!

All and all though, I have been excited by the food I have chosen to eat today. Healthy food choices? Yep! which means I guess I am on some kind of health kick. Long may it reign. Peace.







No comments:

Post a Comment