Friday 15 June 2012

The Little Pies and Chocolate Test

I used to have a penchant for pies. Over the years I used to have a pie a day. At high school I would usually have a steak and cheese pie from the tuck shop, a can of fizz pop, and an iceblock, and maybe a bag of skittles for lunch. Improvements have been made on and off with my food intake over the years but never sustained. Until now. If my high school self could see my today self, it wouldn't recognise me, and I am completely comfortable with that.

I have hit day 5 of the cleanse feeling optimistic. I had negotiated my way through the first four days, it was Friday and I love any day that end in 'y'. When I got to the kitchen at work this morning to fill my water bottle, the bench was full of little savories, literally just spilling out on to the floor and out the door almost all of the way to my desk.. mountains of little pies and quiches... and then I remembered that it was someones birthday morning tea, and I was in the poo perhaps.

Luckily I had seen the email the day before warning me, and so I was prepared and was able to resist the temptation on several occasions. I enlisted the help of my colleague to eat my ones for me, and she did and I was very grateful. I even took a different route to the bathroom and lunch room to avoid temptation and the taunting, and the thoughts and the voices telling me "just one little pie wont hurt". 

To cap it all off today was the day I think my body realised it wasn't going to get what it was expecting and the symptoms of detox really started to kick in. I haven't been able to shake this head ache for most of the day, and I am breaking out like I used to when I was 14. To be honest I feel like arse, being a grumpy shit, and losing my cool, but I know its only temporary, like when you stub your toe or something like that. I can't wait to exercise in the morning.

The cool thing about the raw phase that I am starting tomorrow is that, all of the lovely little date energy balls and chocolate truffles are natural and raw. I dont mean to say that I am going to make a pig of myself and hammer a dozen of them, but more use them as a reward for all of my hard work. Instead of pooping off to the servo at 8 when the kids are in bed to grab a three for $5 chocolate bar deal, I am going to be eating one or two of these little bad boys.. recipe courtesy of 

1/2 cup ground almonds (you can just grind your own in the magic bullet!)
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 ripe avocado
Yields 15-18


Combine almonds, apricots, cocoa powder and cardamom in a food processor. Blend until it becomes a fine meal. Add syrup and avocado and blend again until well combined.
Form balls from the batter. If you can’t get avocados, these will still work. Give and take with the ingredients till it’s reached the right consistency to form balls. Roll each ball in raw cacao. 
Keep in airtight container in the fridge for up to three days (longer if you don’t use Avocado). Freezes well.

These little guys are the bizzo. and they are tasty and healthy. 

I am too far down the cleansing worm hole now to turn back so I think the best thin I can do right now is sit back and enjoy the Raw food  5 day ride, starting in the morning, with a delicious Berry Blast smoothy. I will share the recipe tomorrow, along with some of the key supplements/super foods  that can be helpful when you are giving one of these cleanse things a crack. Thank you to Kauia and Ryan for sending us the Cocoanut Oil and Chlorella Powder. I feel very lucky. and I just know that in the morning the kids are sleeping in too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment