Wednesday 13 June 2012

Tough Days Happen

I was feeling pretty gouda after my first two successful days on the cleanse buzz, but today has been a different experience and I am putting it down to a lack of sleep and my body telling me that it is quite tired from spring cleaning out the years of rubbish I have put in my mouth. It has been a cold old day which would usually mean that I would break out the comfort food, and enjoy. Its been a tough day.

I can safely say that I haven't strayed, although I ever so badly wanted to, but obviously not badly enough. The key to me keeping true to the fight is diversion, and I have been diverting like a fury, pausing, taking the stairs, twice, drinking water and thinking of the long term gain over a little fling with some form of some carb, sugar, or both. Snacks have been my savior on day three, and once again having a plan has been the key to keeping on track.

Below is the recipe of a little tasty treat that, in the company of fruit and or veggies, are like having a little piece of candy, but not filled with the usual sweet schtuff. It is called the Date Energy Ball. (One of the many recipie from Kauia's plan that I am following and from a blog by Sarah Brighton called mynewroots.blogspot.com )


Date Balls 

2 cups dates, chopped (or you can also use some raisins, prunes, apricots)
2 cups nuts (use walnuts, almonds and sunflower seeds, but pecans, Brazil nuts, cashews, macadamias will also work well.)
Dash of cinnamon
Sesame seeds for rolling (optional)

1. Set out a few sheets of parchment paper and a Tupperware container (you will have very sticky hands when you’ll need this)
2. Place the dates and /or other dried fruits in a food processor. Pulse until processed to a paste. Transfer paste to a medium bowl (don’t clean processor).
3. Add the nuts to the processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the nuts, along with the cinnamon, to the bowl with the fruit paste. Use your fingers to knead the nuts into the paste (this is the fun part – kids love it too!)
4. Taking small amounts at a time, shape the kneaded fruit dough into small balls. You can roll the balls in sesame seeds, which will prevent the balls from sticking together, but this is optional. I like the crunch it gives and the extra boost of calcium never hurts!
5. Store in layers, in parchment-lined containers in the refrigerator until you set off on your next energy.


These little buggers are really filling and I am having a couple of them with fruit as a snack in the morning and afternoon play lunch parts of the day. 

General diner tonight for the rest of the whanau today was meat loaf with spuds and mixed veg. The smell of the meat loaf was devine and made me realise that right now I am a vegetarian tourist. I am not sure I could turn my back for good on meat, but for now it is working for me and luckily this house is a bacon cooking free zone.

Hope the lethargy, slight head aches, and tetchiness start to subside. I know it will. I will let you know when the wellbeing well and truly kicks in................................ It's kicking in right now!!








1 comment:

  1. Awesome work Graeme, loving the blog posts. Think I'll even give the date balls a little whirl. Good on you for doing this - It WILL be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete