Saturday 16 June 2012

Footy and Herbal Teas....WTF

The temperature outside in fair Dunedin town is bloody freezing to say the least. I Am not worried, as the fire is cranking, and I worked out a while back that you can't change the weather so there is no point complaining about it. The kids are in bed and kind friends have leant us Sky TV for the week. That basically means that in the house of 262 its footy fever with the ABs on one channel, the Warriors on another and the remote control all mine. Nothing better to do than break out 2 or 3 little chocolate truffles, a dandelion tea and reflect on what has been an industrious and satisfying day.

At the end of day 6, it is weird sitting here, barracking for black with out a beer in my hand, but I am committed to the cause, and the cause is going well. I am becoming used to the subtleties of the herbal tea ranges, caffeine free of course, and my head is feeling less foggy, as a result of my body not having to cope with all the coffee, hidden sugars in processed food and the usual weekend beers. Along with meat though, beer wont be on the forever banned list.

Not the Berry Blunt but another smoothie The Tropical fruit Fix-up
I am really getting into the "smoothie" breakfast. I never thought I would buy into it because I just couldn't believe it would be filling enough. The one I am enjoying the most right now is the berry blunt, Courtesy of Kauia Moriarty, the talented designer of my 14 day food plan of attack. Check out this easy recipe.

The Berry Blunt
Stalk of Celery
Two handfuls – Spinach 
Water
Cup frozen or fresh berries
Tbls Chia seeds/ 2 Tbs ground flax seeds/ Tbs Hemp Protien
1 Banana 
2 Tbls Almonds/ Pumpkin seeds/ Sunflower seeds (preferably soaked)
Honey.

My instructions are "chuck it in a blender and drink it". I haven't been using the hemp protein or flax seeds (in the recipe), and you can really throw anything you want into the blender. Don't be put off by the color either. Its green, and green means good!!

Tonight I had a scrummy beet and carrot salad, which sounds boring but got jazzed up a bit with some dried fruit and almonds and a lovely citrus dressing. I am starting to enjoy the ritual of preparing and then devouring the healthy food, and so hopefully forming some good habits along the way. I will post the recipe tomorrow. 

I got out for a wee run this morning too which was the first in a month. I had forgotten how satisfying it is to peel off a few km's in the morning. If you are thinking of doing a cleanse thing like I am undertaking, you have to try and get some exercise habits under your belt. It really helps when your feeling like you might drop into the shop for a bag of chips. Walking or running or what ever you want to do exercise wise, really helps to keep your mind off what ever it is on, and obviously the benefits and well being that exercise gives you are choice.
Rugby and herbal tea don't really make a marketing match, but I am enjoying it. Day 6, (Raw phase day 1) done.


No comments:

Post a Comment