Tuesday 19 June 2012

Feeling Good About Feeling Good

Another cheese and cracker Monday survived and one more day to go on the raw food phase of this challenge. I have the majority of the days planned out but I have just realized that I have a couple of potential banana skins / eating challenges on the horizon. I am playing a gig for a friend on Thursday night and there will be beer and wine and food and the likes at this function. My plan is this........ To make enough food tomorrow night to take with me and eat during the break. I will have sparkling water if needed and enjoy the fact that I am getting to play some music. Click here to hear a little bit of what I do with my mates.

So more of the same today. Raw food and I have stocked up on the Raw Power Salad to make sure that lunch is as enjoyable as it was today. Honestly though I am really looking forward to some warmish meals and am likely to revisit the Roast Pumpkin treat that I had on day two. I can say that its very delicious and I could eat bowl after bowl of it. The key to the dish is that the dressing with a little bit of lemon juice in it brings out the beautiful flavors of the pumpkin and spinach.... to make it you do  this


Roasted Garlic and Pumpkin with Spinach and Cumin-spiced Chickpeas
Pumpkin chopped into small cubes
Garlic cloves
Cumin seeds
Spinach
1-2 cups cooked chickpeas
Cumin powder
Coriander powder
Fresh Coriander and fresh parsley

Roast pumpkin in oven with cumin seeds and garlic. Heat olive oil in a pan and add dried spice powders. When fragrant add chickpeas and cook for 5-10 minutes. Add washed spinach and wilt down (this salad also tastes great with fresh Spinach chopped through at the end, take your pick). Place in a bowl and cool till warm temperature. Add roasted pumpkin (also warm, not piping hot), fresh herbs and combine. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, S & P and your choice of sprinkles (chia seeds, nuts, seeds, etc etc).  - Kauia Moriarty

I am so fortunate to have a brother who is an amazing chef and super talented when it comes to making food look and taste superb. If you have ever had the pleasure of being cooked for by Joel, you know what I mean. This dish is something that he would definitely make and make well. This post is dedicated to you Joel, for inspiring me to get healthy, you are a wonderful brother, a phenomenal chef and a fantastic uncle to our wee grommets. Stay warm every one. Arohanui to all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment