Thursday 7 June 2012

A bit of a challenge to start with

I have been told that best way to blog is to get cracking and start writing so here it goes..... To give you a bit of back ground I am the proud father of three beautiful under fours (a wee three week old girl and two feisty wee boys) and a husband to my best friend Claire. Together under the roof of 262 Dunedin, we are muddling our way through this wonderful life. I am keen to write, share and blah about a wide variety of topics and will probably get off track from time to time, but thats me, a little ADD, a little bit of a dabbler and a whole lot passionate about a whole heap of things. Over the next bit i hope that I can provide insight to the 'whole heap'.


I want "Finding Health" to be about sharing my insight into the trial and error and success's that I have had in becoming a healthier human being. I am constantly battling with all of the usual things (and some times unusual things) associated with getting healthy (weight, food, work, time, mind, and a body thats aging, addiction). I have read a heap of stuff and had to make a heap of changes in my life to ensure that I can be around to enjoy my kids and my life. No different really than probably all of you


The main driver of starting this blog is that I have recently started reading a book and watched a couple of movies about food, and its made me think about the choices I make on a daily basis  - what is going in my mouth, whats happening to my body and my over all well being when I make the food choices I do.. and many more things that I could harp on about, but I wont yet... Now I will cut to the chase.


I started on the journey of health after I maxed out at the heaviest I had ever been. January 10, 2011, I weighed in at a mere 109.4 kg s. I was over weight and feeling pretty shitty. It took me a couple of months to get into some exercise and then gradually start peeling the kees off. It hasn't been exercise alone that has helped me lose a few kgs. I have had a few go's at moderating what I eat and drink and it is a constant battle. I love beer. I love chocolate. I love food. I can smash a cake of chocolate with out blinking or considering the consequence, and I feel under a constant barrage of thoughts, feelings and impulses about food and exercise and balancing family and work and all those other things that make a life.


CHALLENGE TIME!!! so I have read about whole foods and cleanses and detoxes and the likes. In three days I am commencing a 14 day food cleanse. To be fair I am a little apprehensive. I eat eff all fruit as it is and I like veggies but they always seem more effort than they are worth. In saying that I have an open mind and I am thinking that I have nothing to lose. I am approaching this as a food experiment where I am the guinea pig and only good can come from it. At worst I eat a whole lot more real foods and vegetables, lose a bit of weight and start new beneficial eating habits.


Challenge 1: Caffeine: Cleanse starts in three days and over this week I have slowly started weening my self off my quad shot espressos. I am feeling remarkably ok at this stage. Had my last cup of coffee today and am waiting for the DTs..


Tune in over the next two or three weeks to see how I get on. I will attempt to post something every day, and be as honest as I can and with the permission of Kauia, my lovely cleanse adviser/mentor i will  share  as much information as I can to maybe spark some interest in having a crack at finding your own health.. 
Wish me luck

No comments:

Post a Comment